Coat of Arms
[College History | Coat of Arms | DIOT
|DofRS | OCA
The Arms of the College were granted in 1929 and they
are particularly appropriate to the historical associations with the
village of Cranwell and to the role of the Royal Air Force College.
Based on the arms of the de Cranewell family discovered in the village
church in the seventeenth century, they feature three cranes with wings
spread, emblematic of long-distance flight. The background of the shield
is blue, typifying the sky, and the three lions' faces in red and gold on
a chevron symbolize the College's royal connections.
The crest is the figure of Daedalus, the mythical
first aviator, reminiscent of the RNAS personnel who established Cranwell
as HMS Daedalus during the First World War.
The legend Superna Petimus means 'We seek higher things'.
In 1970 the College was granted the right to bear supporters on its
existing Armorial Bearings. The task of designing what is known as a full
achievement of arms was undertaken by the Senior College Illustrator, Mr J
B Ellingham, in 1970.
Eagles were chosen to represent modern birds of the air, silver aircraft.
Their red legs and beaks establish a link with Lord Trenchard whose own
Coat of Arms bore red eagles as supporters.
The astral crowns indicate that the Royal Air Force College is the world's
first Military Air Academy.
The two fleur-de-lys are edged with green to show the College's close
association with Lincolnshire, and red to indicate the College's ties with
Bedfordshire, the home of the Royal Air Force Technical College Henlow
which merged with Cranwell in 1966.